Chair: Sembiam Rengarajan, California State University, Northridge, CA, USA
Co-Chair: Michael Newkirk, The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, Laurel, MD, USA
The 1st through 5th Student Paper Prize winners will be awarded a certificate and a check in the amounts of $1500, $1250, $1000, $750, and $500, respectively.
Rules and Guidelines
- The first author and presenter must be a full-time university student.
- The topic of the paper must be related to the field of one of the ten URSI Commissions.
- A full paper, not longer than 10 pages and not shorter than 4 pages in single-column, single-spaced format, meeting the requirements of the SPC paper URSI Template, must be submitted by January 31, 2021.
- Each student is allowed to submit one paper only for the Student Paper Competition.
- The student must also submit either an Extended Abstract or a Summary Paper version of the paper at the same time the full paper is submitted.
- Applicants to the 2020 GASS Student Paper Competition will not be eligible to participate with the same paper.
- Submissions should be made through the URSI GASS 2021 online paper submission system, with the appropriate box (indicating the Student Paper Competition) being checked during the paper submission.
- The full paper will be evaluated within the Competition and will not be published to ensure that there are no subsequent prior-publication issues for those students who wish to submit the work to a journal. This means that the ten-page paper will not be included in the conference proceedings. Only the shortened version will appear in the conference proceedings.
- A paper that is submitted to a journal before submission to the student competition is ineligible. However, students are encouraged to submit their papers to a journal after January 31, 2021.
- A letter from the student’s advisor on university letterhead must be uploaded with the full paper. The letter must state that the author is enrolled as a full-time university student in a degree program. If the paper is coauthored, the letter must state that all coauthors played only an advisory role. No other students are permitted as coauthors.
- Submissions must use the following file naming convention, where “Lastnameauthor” text is replaced by the student’s surname:
Ten finalists will be chosen based upon quality, originality and scientific merit. They will receive free tickets to the banquet, where all finalists will be recognized, and prizes will be presented to the five winners.
The finalists will present their papers in a special SPC session at the GASS. They will be judged by a panel consisting of the ten URSI Commission Chairs or their authorized representatives.
The prizes will be awarded based on the clarity of the presentation, adherence to time, accessibility to the broad audience of the ten URSI Commissions, and the ability to answer questions on the work. Prizes will be awarded by check in USD currency.
Download here the 2021 GASS Student Paper Competition